Monday, February 06, 2006

Monday Shuffle

Ok, it's been a long time between posts - what has been going on... Uh, Herr Munkey der Murder has been spying on Americans without a warrent, budget has exploded like Mariah Carrey's thighs, Steelers win the Super Bowl, Bird Flu still hasnt cleansed the Earth of the cancer of humankind.

Anyway, here is your shuffle.

1) I Need A Miracle - Grateful Dead. This is the album version and I have no idea when or why I DL'd it. "Too much of everything is just enough" - indeed. God damn prophetic.

2) Original Of The Species - U2, Chicago 5/12/05. "Give you everything you want except what you want". Spoken like a parent. Or a God-Parent (of the Edge) as the case might be... if I remember correct. "Somethings you shouldnt get too good at - like smiling crying and celebrity - some people got too much confidence, baby". God damn I love this band.

3) Down By The River - Neil Young. There are two kinds of people in this world. People who get Neil and people who have zero clue what they are talking about.

4) The Street Parade - The Clash. Actually, the first time Ive heard this. But I will say this, something like punk is gonna make a comeback. The shit status of the music industry demands it - the shit status of our politicians and our culture beg for it.

5) Couting Train Cars - Widespread Panic, New Year's Vacation Shows. A smile bringer. Ole JB singin sweet. You wanna take a drive on a sunny Sunday afternoon, put this fucker on.

6) Country Roads - Toots & The Maytals. John Denver done reggae style. "West Jamaica take me home" Shit, see number 5.

7) Stella Blue - Grateful Dead, So Many Roads box set. "All the years combined" indeed. I can remember the band bathed in blue shafts of light and the lip of Deer Creek's shed looking like a sky scraper. Oh but for those times to come again - they will just not for me.

8) Spin The Black Circle - Pearl Jam, 8/24/00. Me thinks this is about playing LPs and ragin the fuck out -- or heroin. Hell, I dont know. But it makes me pump my fuckin fist and curse Preznit Pretzel Choaker. So its good by me.

9) Sometimes A River - String Cheese Incident. Damn. This one is full of happy songs. SCI. They were my world for a short dreamy few years. Then they lost their soul. Or I did. With this album they attempted, with varying success, to reclaim their soul... and in this song at least - they did.

10) Yahweh - U2, 5/12/05. "Take this shirt, polyester white trash made in nowhere, take this shirt and make it clean. Take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing" My fucking god, how I love this fucking band. "Take these hands, teach them what to carry, take these hands, dont make a fist, take this mouth, so full of violence, take this mouth, give it a kiss - yeah"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home